Three weeks down, 18 games thru Sunday, April 23 (144 to go); here are some highlights:
- Bryce Harper: NL Player of the Week!
Here’s why: Harper hit .550 for the week (11-for-20), with 3 HRs, 7 RBIs and 3 runs scored. He is leading the majors in BA (.400) and OBP (.524), is tied for #1 in Total Bases (53) and BB (17), and is 2nd in SLG (.815), HRs (7) and RBIs (20).
Harper is also #1 in Runs Created (23), Adjusted OPS+ (257), Times on Base (43), and Adj. Batting Runs (.923) (baseball.reference.com).
- Ryan Zimmerman is #2 in MLB for BA (.387), just behind Harper, and #4 in OPS (.774).
- NATS Record: 13 wins 5 losses, highest W-L percentage in MLB (.722).
- Winning Streak of 7 thru Apr 23.
- Max Scherzer: #1 in NL in strikeouts (33) and BAA (.160)
- Team Batting: NATS are #1 in MLB in OBP (.345) and OPS (.793); #1 in MLB in BA (.269). They are tied for #2 in Runs (93).
- Team Pitching: NATS Starting Pitchers are #1 in MLB for Quality Starts (QS) with 16 and #1 in QS% (89%), #2 in Game Score average (58), and have 10 games when starters threw seven or more innings (MLB best). They are also #1 NL in WHIP (1.15).
Coming up: at the #1/West Rockies for 4 games (Apr 24-27), and then home against the Mets (28-30 Apr). Welcome Jacob Turner, called up Starter for April 24, filling in for Stephen Strasburg who is on paternity leave expecting the birth of his second child. Turner was born 1991 in St. Charles, Mo (not far away from Max Scherzer’s home town of Chesterfield, MO), and was drafted by the Tigers in 2011. He began the season at AAA/Syracuse.